Tuesday, May 7, 2019

Blog #4

Blog #4


My last observations are with the female athletes here at Pace. Just like the male athletes, female athletes have exclusive access to the athletic facilities on campus as well. Since each athletic team has different mandatory lift times, I had to observe a female athletic team when it was there schedule lift. So I went for a short while to watch Pace’s women's soccer and basketball. First thing I automatically picked up on was the girls are more open to talking while exercising, while retaining good discipline and work ethic. This is a huge difference between the males and females because when us guys start to lose discipline by talking to much we tend to mess up in our workouts, main reason why our coach is always watching us. But for the women the coach was a little less strict and let the girls talk a bit more.
Besides that aspect, the females were almost like the males when it came to working out. While talking, they were serious about the task they were performing at hand, and the energy wasn’t as rambunctious as the males, but they were still cheering teammates on whenever they completes a really heavy set of weight. For basketball, the girls focused on a lot of more all-around workouts, as for soccer they focused on more leg and core strengthening. The language wasn’t different at all either. For example, when cheering their teammates on, one of the girls was screaming “Move the weight!” On the football team, we say that every time before we lift, setting into our minds that we are here to lift to get better. I asked a junior on the basketball team, Jackie Dellisanti, if she think she gets a better workout inside of Goldstein, the school’s open gym or inside here in the field house. She said “Well in Goldstein you are free to work on whatever you want, but I believe you don’t work as hard cause you aren’t working with your team. In here everyone is working hard so you do not want to fall behind everyone and bring the team down.” With her words, I was able to put these observations more towards why athletic facilities are important to a schools athletic program.
Weight room inside the field house

No comments:

Post a Comment