Tuesday, May 7, 2019

Blog #2


Blog #2

The first group I decided to observe was normal students and staff. Normal students and staff don’t have access to certain buildings on campus. For example, there is a building called the Ianello Field House. That building is strictly for athletes and coaches only, plus the training staff that uses the building too. They don’t have access to the older field house either right by the baseball field. Basically normal students are limited to an extent. Students and staff have access to a whole other building too, which is the Goldstein fitness center, the school’s gym. Here everyone can go here to do what they like, from working out to swimming to playing games on the courts.
When I went to go observe this social space, I asked one student what they think of buildings being exclusive for only athletes. The student, who wanted to stay anonymous, gave an intriguing answer. “Well sports are a huge part of a school’s community, so athletes need no distractions if they want to be good and win. If the whole football team had to come everyday to Goldstein to workout, it wouldn’t produce good results.” I can see why they said that, because inside the gym there was a good amount of people. Observing, I see that the equipment from here and the field house are totally different, where the equipment is meant for all kinds of uses. While in there, the people working out all had different kinds of energy and tempo. People in little groups interacted with each other very minimally, other people just stayed on their phone, while other people just was working out solo. Some people had to wait for machines cause they were occupied as well.
Goldstein Fitness Center
Pool

No comments:

Post a Comment